Monday, March 5, 2012

nadi city, and the biggest hindu temple in the southern hemisphere

After the Yasawa island hopping, I spent 4 whole days on the mainland, or rather, on the main island - Vanua Levu. I had booked (Kilroy did that is) my accommodatin at Toa Skylodge, which was very nice. A pool, sunbathing chairs, a bar, a restaurant, and clean nice rooms with aircon. Win. Butt still there's only so much to do around Nadi, and therefore 4 days is waaaay to long. I'd rather have spent two more days in the Yasawas, or on beachcomber island.
But to practice my mega tourist skills, I got my camera bag and camera, and went out to explore the city and the temple. I walked down the city, which consists of basically one main street with some in my opinion lousy and uninteresting shops, I visited the Handicraft market, where I got a lot of 'special price for you my friend where are you from?', and walked down to the temple at the end of the street. The temple was very colorful and beautiful, but that's pretty much it... It didn't quite hit my wow-button, and I left Nadi city with a empty feeling... The city is absolutely nothing to be too excited about, but yeah, now I've seen it. The most interesting parts was talking to the Fiji-indian lady at the handicraft market, who made my first henna tattoo. A REAL henna, made out of pressed henna leaves. Indian style. She made my hand pretty.
The other interesting thing was taking the local bus. People staring at me and me smiling at them, and on the streets the kids got out of school with their uniforms, and me, ready with my camera trying to capture a good image from the moving bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment